Sunday, July 4, 2010

RUN

It's early on the fourth of July...the babes, despite having an exhausting day yesterday decided to get up at the crack of dawn. I'm sitting here typing as the morning sun streams in on their very blonde and very brown locks. Looking forward to a great day.

I wrote my post below as soon as we got home yesterday. I wanted to capture exactly what I was thinking and feeling. It's been nearly 24 hours. Parts of my body are sore that I didn't know existed. My core, my hips, small parts of my back, my feet....but surprisingly not my legs.

A few months ago I got this crazy idea to start running. It was a personal goal. I've never been able to run, could never catch my breath, and downright hated it. I had a huge hurdle to overcome. So I started back when the weather was cooler a few months ago. My initial goal was to run to the end of the street and back (less than 1/4 mile). I gradually increased my distance, and with lots of support signed up for a Cross Country 5K (Scott and KK ran too). I've almost exclusively run outside, up and down our hilly area, and not all that consistently.

This morning was the big race. My initial goal was to complete it in under 40 minutes (as on a good day I can run an 11 minute mile in relatively flat terrain). After realizing the route for this 5K was seriously cross country (up and down HUGE hills, through fields, up hill through the woods, etc.) I just wanted to finish. (Not to mention is was pretty hot today.)

I began full force, full of adrenaline, wanting badly to keep up with the crowd. Started way too fast! My first mile was paced around a 10 minute mile, and was mostly downhill or flat. After the first mile, it was uphill through a neighborhood. BRUTAL! I ran/walked most of the second mile. The third mile included running through a field sideways on a hill, a huge lap around the fields/track, a loop through the woods uphill and then one lap on the track. I walked through the woods praying that I wouldn't throw up (my dominating thought). Once I got to the track and heard all the cheering, it was really motivating. My girl ran the last 5th of a mile with me to cross the finish line in exactly 47 minutes. I did it. I did it!

I hope that if there is something out there that you've always wanted to do...you try it.


No comments:

Post a Comment