Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Good Morning Muffins

I recently gutted my kitchen. Pulled everything out of every cabinet and drawer....re-evaluated where things should go, edited, purged and put things back where they made better sense. Thinking about what we used regularly and what cabinets and drawers were easy to access for my little ones were key. Seeing what had expired long ago made me realize how wasteful and unorganized I've been. It was a for-sure eye opener. The result is a much edited kitchen, organized cabinets and a desire to meal-plan and cook healthier (and more often) for my family. My hope is to start recording my meal plans, referencing where I find my recipes and to keep notes on my thoughts as I cook. Without further ado.....here is a much requested recipe:

Good Morning Muffins

*requested by my husband
{Our favorite Kashi waffles are no longer available, so this is a blueberry muffin recipe that I changed up a bit for a new healthy breakfast staple.}

Preheat oven: 400 degrees
Cook for: 20-25 minutes
Yields: 12-15 muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup salted butter (softened)
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup blueberries (or anything else you might like!)
handful of mini-chocolate chips

Topping Ingredients:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup salted butter (softened)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
(handful of crushed roasted almonds)

Directions:
1. Whisk wwflour, sugar and baking powder in a medium bowl.
2. Stir in butter, egg and milk. Should be nice and thick.
3. Fold in blueberries and chocolate chips.
4. Line muffin tins with paper cups, and fill about 3/4 full. (a bit fuller to make 12, less to make about 15)
5. In same bowl (now empty) mix topping ingredients well. (I make it without the almonds first so I can set a few aside for my littlest guy!)
6. Bake on 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Notes/Thoughts:
*My attempt here was to use whole ingredients and add fiber and antioxidants. Each muffin has about 5+ grams of fiber.
*You can easily substitute the blueberries and chocolate chips for whatever else you like.
*I like King Arthur wwflour, Wyman's frozen Wild Blueberries, Land O Lakes Sweet Cream Salted butter, Nestle Chocolate Chips.
*Once cooled, place on a plate and cover with foil so they don't get soggy.
*They were a hit with everyone in our family. Little man is 16 months old so I left out the almonds on a few for him. Breakfast for 2 mornings for our family of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment