Thursday, June 10, 2010

Guacamole Salad and Old Bay Baked Chicken

So here's what I made for dinner tonight....both are new versions of old recipes.

Guacamole Salad
(inspired by Stacey's version)

Ingredients:

2 ripe avocados diced up
1/4 finely diced Vidalia onion
3/4 cup grape tomatoes cut into fourths
1 can black beans (rinsed off and drained)
Juice from 2 lemons
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 package Guacamole seasoning
few sprigs of fresh cilantro and parsley (finely chopped)

**you can totally change up the amounts of each ingredient to your taste!

Directions:
1. Prepare all ingredients as stated in the list (chopping/dicing, etc.).
2. I saved my avocado pits (I heard they keep the avocados from turning brown).
3. Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl.
4. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.

Notes/Thoughts
*I made mine ahead of time so I can pull it out for dinner.
*I used Concord Foods brand Guacamole dip (MSG free) and Organic Eden brand black beans. I was happy to see that their cans' lining is BPA free.
*I made a little bit of mezza rigatoni pasta to go with this salad....loved it.


Old Bay Baked Chicken
(inspired by a recipe I saw and now can't find! classic!)

*As noted, although I was trying a new seasoning with a recipe I make all the time, you can use whatever spices you like and use the same directions.

Preheat oven: 350 degrees
Time: 1.5 hours or longer if you want

Ingredients:

2 whole chicken breasts, skin on, bone-in
2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
2 tablespoons salted butter (softened)
olive oil
4 cloves garlic sliced in half (8 total pieces)
1/2 -- 3/4 cup water or chicken stock

Directions:

1. Wash and pat dry chicken breasts. Mix Old Bay with butter to form your rub.
2. Slide fingers under skin to loosen. Rub chicken with the rub! (both under the skin and on the skin)
4. Puncture two holes in each chicken breast and insert garlic clove halves.
5. Using a heavy bottom, oven-proof pot (I have a generic version of a Le Creuset from TJ Maxx), heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Lightly sear both sides of each chicken breast to lock in flavor. This should only take a few minutes, as you don't want to burn your seasoned chicken. Slide chicken breasts over, add chicken stock or water (don't dump directly over chicken), scrape up brown bits/seasoning with a wooden spoon and bring to a simmer quickly.
6. Add your lid and put in the oven.
7. Let it bake for 1.5 hours on 350 degrees. Let it sit on the stovetop for at least 15 minutes before serving. The meat should pull right off the bones.

Notes/Thoughts
*I loved this meal because I love baked or roasted chicken. It's moist and flavorful and yields a lot of chicken. Great for leftovers. (Scott prefers grilled skinless/boneless chicken breasts)
*You can easily (as I do often) use this same method and use different seasonings. I LOVE Crazy Jane's seasoning! You can also make a quick gravy out of the drippings and juice.
*I cooked mine for 2 hours in the oven and then let it sit for an hour on the stovetop. The meat pulled right apart.


No comments:

Post a Comment