Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Importance of Rest

I sensed the ball was going to drop, despite my every effort to prepare her. I had a plan, we discussed it, but in the end she began to unravel. I needed to either hold my ground, be consistent and follow through or give in. Sometimes disciplining little ones is really hard. Giving in can be so much easier. We loaded back up into the car, tears pursued and I held steadfast. I was upset because I hate seeing my children upset. Within minutes, they were both asleep. Sound asleep, snoring.


I began to think about how the Lord asks us to be obedient, just as we ask our children to be. We want to protect our children, teach them, and show them love....so sometimes we must discipline. I thought about the times when I feel most undisciplined and disobedient as I watched them sleep. It's when I'm tired. I don't want to take care of my body and exercise when I'm tired. I want to eat junk and pick up crappy food for dinner when I'm tired. I am cranky and unproductive and lose my patience when I'm tired.
I began to see the correlation between being rested (both body and mind) and being able to be most disciplined and obedient. I realize more and more that if I'm not deliberate with taking the time to unwind, to have a few moments to myself to clear my head, or to even look at life's moments (like the one today) with some sort of understanding....it just adds to my tiredness.

When I pulled into the driveway, she woke up and was a whole different little girl. Happy to have me make her pasta for lunch, grateful to be home to play with her new stuffed dog. In that moment, I felt like the hard decision to discipline her was worth it. In the end it was her exhaustion that made her act out....and I'm grateful for God's grace that made me see that. My children teach me so much about life. Our relationship with them is so much like our relationship with God. I began to question the kind of "daughter" I am. I have little eyes watching my example all the time. What do I want them to see? What will they learn from my example? Do I use my tiredness as an excuse or start the process of finding the rest I need? I am so grateful for this lesson today. I am thankful for God's illustration played out so clearly, taught to me by Him, through my children....a blessing.

Taking the time out to rest our bodies, to rest our minds, to clear out the cobwebs....in the end is essential. Everything is so much better when we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment